An IT executive at Maui Jim, a sunglasses manufacturer, was at his wits end. He was hiring IT professionals from overseas and when they showed up for work, they were not the person his managers had interviewed on the phone. He was demanding that HR find him some objective HR assessments that could help his team measure credibility, IQ, skill, and emotional intelligence.
Though the IT leader desired that we do deep psychological testing, that would not have been appropriate with HIPPA law. So the steps in our plan were as follows:
- Review the IT job descriptions and identify the competencies needed in most IT positions
- Research and select assessment tools which measure the competencies needed
- Pilot the testing with one key open position and then re-evaluate
- Set up future testing procedures
- Train the recruiters on the assessment process and instruments
We found two tests to meet the IQ and integrity competencies needed to help his hiring managers trust the candidates. In addition, we administered the Emotional Quotient and the PXTS to help the hiring manager do a better job fitting the candidate to the role and the culture. HR sends out the assessment invitation to the candidate via email. We provide the service of an executive summary of all four assessments along with the assessment results to the hiring manager. Plus, the hiring manager can call us at any time to discuss the results in order to prepare more effective interview questions.
Since 2014 when we first implemented the testing in IT, our client has broadened their testing to all professionals and leadership positions.